Saturday 1 March 2008

Toddler Size Organic Cloak


I have been meaning to make a toddler size Organic Cloak to go with my children's size Organic Cloak for ages. This weekend I finally got down to it when my husband took the children out to a book reading in town.

I was going to go with them but they said they might have to do some shopping after and they didn't seem too keen about me coming for that - Mother's Day tomorrow.
So I took the recycling to the recycling point down the road and did the shopping. I know it is not the done thing for people under the age of 65 to have a shopping trolley in the UK, but here everyone has one. I bought mine last Summer and it is so useful. It even has an insulated pocket on the front for the cold stuff and it means I don't have to lug bags around with me, just pull it along. Great to carry the recycling in too.
So after all that I managed to resist putting the computer on and went up to the sewing room and got cracking.

My cloaks are made of organic Fair Trade cotton. I use two contrasting colours sewn together so that they are reversible. They fasten with velcro tabs so that even young children can easily put them on and take them off. The first cloak I made for my daughter for Halowe'en when she was 1 year old had ribbon ties at the front. But the problem was that only an adult could put it on her, and she could undo it by accident just by pulling one end. Making velcro tabs to fasten them with solved both of those problems. My children get really frustrated if something gets stuck on them (jackets that do up with buttons for instance) and if they can't get it off they end up panicking and breaking it. The neck on my cloaks is elasticated for safety, which means that if the child can't undo the cloak they can still take it off fairly easily, and if they were to catch the neck on something they could still wriggle out. Of course they have never managed to do that, and I can't actually imagine how they would, but sometimes I go into a worse case scenario dream state and think up all sorts of calamities, and the elastic meant that that particular worse case scenario didn't end up so bad after all. Am I the only one who imagines these things?

The cloak should be online tomorrow or the next day.

Happy poggling!

No comments: