Monday 17 March 2008

Easter Eggs

I have been thinking about making some felted eggs for Easter. I don't know if I will have time to do it, but I think the way it goes is to get a polystyrene egg and then wet felt over that. Then you can either leave it like that, or you can cut around the egg leaving a bit uncut to act as a hinge, or make two separate halves, and if you like put a button or other clasp on the open side and there you have an egg ready to fill.

The basics of wet felting is that you need warm water and soap. It has to be proper soap though, not detergent as that won't work. Then you lay the wool out how you want it and wet it with the soapy water and gently rub. The water and soap open up the fibres of the wool which then get tangled together which causes them to felt. As it starts felting you can rub a bit harder.

Another variation would be to just wet felt a solid egg shape, but of course this would just be for decoration as you couldn't fill it.

Alternatively you can needle felt an egg over an egg shaped sponge (a good solid one is best, you buy them specially for felting) and then cut it open as before. If you don't have a sponge then you could just use some scrunched up paper instead.

If I get round to doing this I will try and remember to photograph it as I go along. I still haven't remembered to photograph fairy making. I forget every time. I promise to do it at some point though.

There are some more craft ideas in my Pogglers Crafty Kids newsletter. You will find a great way to decorate your boiled eggs for rolling, entirely naturally, which I learned here in Switzerland. There is also a simple way to make some Easter egg holders for the table. And of course a very simple recipe for Easter nests.
And a suggestion for a birthday party craft. To sign up just send me your e-mail address or fill in this form on my website.

Happy poggling!

No comments: