Saturday 8 March 2008

Indian Cloth Doll


I just have to have a rave about my Fair Trade Organic Indian Dolls that I have at Pogglers, even if I didn't make them myself. When I received my first batch of these I just couldn't believe how wonderful they were and what good value.

The Indian Doll comes dressed in a sari with instructions on how to put it on again. She also has a change of clothes in a little cloth bag. Now all that would be great, but there is more! She is lying in a hand woven rush cradle complete with mattress and pillow. And there are a number of different sari colours to choose from.

They are made by Bishopston Trading's producer partners in K.V. Kuppam in India , where there is a tradition of hand weaving. They are made in an architect designed factory which was funded by the South India Rural Development Trust. All of Bishopston Trading's profits go into this registered charity to benefit the people of K.V. Kuppam. I looked very closely at the company before I bought from them as I didn't want to compromise my ethical standards, and I was very pleased with what I found.

No comments: