Sunday 9 March 2008

Fairytale Wool Fairies


I went to the bookshop yesterday to get some crafty books. I saw some nice ones on the German Amazon site to make things out of natural materials and another one with fantastic reviews. I thought I would support the proper bookshop though so took the whole family down with me. Not so bad as it sounds as they have a play area with a tunnel in the children's section. It turned out the craft section just didn't have anything I was looking for but I still came away with three books: one on stuffed animals; one on felting; and one on making fairies and elves with Fairytale Wool.

My mum gave us some Fairytale Wool about three years ago and I am afraid we haven't done anything with it until now. I got as far as finding a bit of hessian and thinking of pinning it to the wall to stick the wool onto, but didn't actually get as far as putting it up. When I was wee we had one wall of our kitchen covered in hessian so we could use bits of the coloured wool to stick on (it just clings by itself) and make scenes and pictures. It was such a wonderful idea.

So this afternoon when my youngest was asleep we got out the wool and made the fairy. It occurred to me half way through that I should have been taking pictures but it was too late really, so I will do that another time and post a tutorial on how to do it. There were some wonderful examples in the book and although it was a bit tricky at times, not as hard as I expected. And I think she turned out quite well. Do you like her?

These fairies make great Christmas tree decorations. I might make some for next Christmas. Would this be something you might buy for your Christmas tree or a present?



Happy poggling!

1 comment:

Linda said...

When I looked at the picture of the red fairy it went through my mind that would be a nice tree decoration, then I read on........

Lovely idea Mairi