Monday 25 February 2008

How did Pogglers come about?

When my second child was born I had heard that it might be a good idea to give the new big sister a present from the new baby. I had a couple of knitting books which I had already used to knit some clothes for my first daughter from and they had some toy designs in too. So I decided to knit her a rabbit from the new baby. The instructions were for a family of rabbits and I managed to knit the biggest one and a pair of trousers and a tiny baby one too before time ran away from me.

My daughter was delighted with it and at age 5 is still quite protective of her rabbit. She was even more delighted with her baby sister and when she came downstairs the morning after the birth.

"It's a baby! It's a baby, its a baby, its a baby!" she cried over and over again, pausing only to look at another person to direct her excitement to. She said this over and over again for a full ten minutes non stop. And every morning for the next few weeks, the duration diminishing slightly every day.

I digress. Rabbit was a great hit and was carried around in her own child size 'Tragetuch', a baby carrying wrap.

We live in Switzerland, so a few German words might creep in here and there!

So when I was pregnant with my third I decided I had to make the older two something from the new baby again. This time I decided to make them each a large doll so they could 'look after' their own baby too. I bought a book and some supplies and set to work making my first Waldorf dolls. I really enjoyed making them and the girls were delighted with them when their baby brother arrived.

So thinking that I would like to earn some money somehow, preferably without leaving the house, and therefore the children, I thought doll making was something I could do. It also filled my need to be doing something creative as I haven't really done much of worth since leaving art college with a degree in Sculpture.

So I asked my Dad, who is an Actinic web site design wiz, how I would go about setting up my own site, and before I knew it I had managed to design one and get it online. I bought more material and started making stock, and four months later started taking orders online. Here we are coming up for 6 months later. I am always thinking of ways I can improve or change my products and there are never ending plans for new things to make.

Happy poggling!

No comments: